Wednesday, September 24, 2008

familiar eyes

Early this morning as I lay tranquil, stumbling in and out of sleep, I suddenly found myself miles from my bed in an unfamiliar forest. My dad and I were in stride trailing an elk we had heard bugle not far from our position. My dad bugled back and then whispered to me between excited pants, desperate for the ice cold mountain air "we got him! make your way up to that bushy tree and notch an arrow." I moved quietly... quickly to the decided spot and made myself ready. My heart beat with an untamable rapidity, but my hand was steady and I drew back my bow as the brownish figure came into view. I waited... and then the Elk gave me a good shot and I took it. Somehow my arrow multiplied into four.
He was stunned by the blow and bolted across the wood to a large oak where he lay down to die. Then with one last installment of adrenalin and vigor, he pulled himself up by his front legs, dragging his hind legs limp and useless behind him. A pool of blood seemed to follow him as he crept in my direction. No animal should have survived that long, but his eyes were locked on mine, not in anger but more as if he wanted to tell me that he loved me. Five feet, three feet, face to face the elk and I sat. I knew his face, I could recognize him but I know not how. He looked at me with the most tender and loving eyes and gave me a kiss. Then it was done, I laid his head in my lap in shock and awoke in my bed. 

Today has haunted me with this dream, intense and brutal, it will not give me leave. I had to write it down because I didn't know what else to do.

Regretfully yours,

Branden

2 comments:

Jessie Dale said...

That's intense... maybe you shouldn't hunt anymore!

Cassie said...

that is one crazy dream!

let us know if you get some great revelation and application to life.