Sunday, November 9, 2008

Everyone is waiting on love

I wrote a song called Everyone is waiting on Love a while ago in order to draw awareness to the fact that if everyone is waiting then no one will ever actually be loved. It was a call to action, an obvious observation that I, oh so easily... forgot. 
I slowly started to realize my state of digression whilst talking to Phil about Bo Sterns' blog on marriage and the requirements of that one special person. It's pretty funny, really, reading something like that, and all the responses from other women. I realize that I am not the intended audience, but still, I read it and it gave me something to shoot for among other things.
More importantly, I was forced to re-think my previous thoughts regarding what I look for in someone. I guess I need to tell you what those thoughts are, before I continue.

I really just got tired of making lists of expectations, and more than that I realized that no matter how much I contrived plans, they would be foiled because His is greater. She will love Jesus, I know that. And we will be headed in the same direction, I know that also. I think God is spontaneous and great and more than that omnipotent and omniscient. He alone knows, and I can't wait to be surprised and taken back when he reveals it to me. 

Which leads me to my knew standard: What I look for in a significant other is God's plan. I pray for it and search for it and live from moment to moment by it. I believe that if I stay true and faithful to God, I will see his plan unraveling in that person and in life. I trust that, I really do. I trust it because He is so good in all other aspects of my life, He is good! 

If I could write to that person it would go something like this: 

Dear future wife,
Hi!  Here are some things I've been thinking about and I really wanted to tell you. Don't try to be something that you are not. Don't hold back from letting God take control of your life, don't give up on your dreams because people say you should be a certain way, and don't worry! You are beautiful and great! Just keep your eyes on Him and he will guide you and someday we will meet and celebrate because He is so good, so true, so loving. Shine with His light! Praise Him in everything you do. He is good. 

That's all I can really write without knowing the sort of things they would be interested in, you know, like the admiration of toast and it's simplicity and tastiness. 

Ok, back to "waiting on love." It is contrary to the way Jesus lived and the way he wants us to live. I'm sorry but I'm not going to wait, I'm going to go out there and stinking love some people and hopefully stick to His plan very closely. Just like Cassie said in her enthusiastic blog that I love "Can we just love some people" (that may not be exactly right, but you get the Idea. Sorry Cassie). When we serve and love, we will find truth, and Jesus, and all the desires of our hearts.

I hope this can be encouraging to all of us young people looking for Mr. or Ms. right. Remember how you got to where you are, remember He that created you, and remember that He is an awesome God just waiting to show you how good He is. 

Sincerely,

Branden Thomas Carpenter

2 comments:

Cassie said...

you are my hero in the blogging world again!!!

i love this post... for lots of reasons:

-It reminds me of something my brother wrote once, about guys not be afraid to take a risk and pursue a girl(in righteousness and godliness of course)... but not getting so stuck on their list of expectations.

-you quoted me!...kinda =)

-the "note" to your future wife= bold and amazing.

-reminds me to love people... and live by what i write.

-makes me think that if every girl was as lucky as Jess (and myself) to have such great brothers i think there would be less "self-esteem" issues in young women.

-it's honest. and Honesty really is the best quality.

keep it up Branden.

Carrie said...

Branden you are right on track. When it all falls together, you will laugh at the wonder of God's perfection. I love you! Moo