Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Apologies to the moon

Hi!
So I saw the moon out in the day and thought, "hmm, that's queer..." and then wrote this poem. I hope you enjoy it. Just for a little setting, I was driving by Drake park when the day moon caught my glance. Golden leaves were falling all around giving off a golden hue. It was an ethereal circumstance and I couldn't stop thinking about all of the vibrant colors and then the moon on top of it all... here we go :) 


I'm sorry moon, for pretending that you were the sun
I didn't mean to paint you into the day
But when I realized what I was doing, it was already done
Sometimes I think I see your shape among the clouds
Or that you a tree, stood here beside me
I should have stayed silent, let you still in your darkened shrouds
My eyes have told a lie, led me far away from true sight
So moon, stay in the night! 
summer, winter, spring or fall, they all become night and then
YOU! moon, disappear from this cluttered view
The shimmering light of day you're running to
If you were the leaf falling, golden and crisp from that proud tree
Would you glance my brow? or just another stepping stone for my feet would you be?
But no, ever changing globe of cheese
in the night is where you weep, for you can feel his warmth
but the sun burns out of reach 
and I, somewhere in between

Thanks for reading! I know it's a bit weird and I thank you for reading in spite of that.

Sincerely,

Branden Thomas Carpenter


3 comments:

Jessie Dale said...

Well, needless to say, that was the best. But I do have to say, in true Branden spirit, towards the end when you referred to the moon as a wheel of cheese... welllll, I laughed. And thought "how truly poetic my brother is."

You are my favorite or favorites dear friend.

Jessie Dale said...

oh excuse me... **GLOBE of cheese :)

Carrie said...

Hey, Brandeen! What a great poem. You are an incredible writer. You painted pictures in my mind, very vivid!

(I know that cheese is poetic to you, but it does make the girls giggle.....)